Friday, January 16, 2009

Lets Talk About Our Investments

How is your 401K? How’s your retirement account doing?

Honestly, I do not like those questions. If you’re like me, this line of questioning is painful just about now. America and most of our neighbors in this world are in a severe economic downturn…okay, a precipitous slide…no, it may better be termed an economic avalanche.

In this economic environment it’s too easy to complain about my losses in the stock market. The question I don’t want to answer is this: Why did I invest so much in things that means so little? Why place so much confidence in things that can’t last, which are here today and gone tomorrow?

Jesus once said, “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal." Matt. 6:19-20 (NIV)

The other day my financial adviser tossed out a mantra I know he must have repeated a thousand times before he said it to me. "You've got to think long term." How long-term do I need to think? Until retirement? Further?

Yes, further. Jesus makes it clear that Investing in anything that can be eaten by moths or rust, destroyed by the second law of thermodynamics, or stolen by thieves who break into our confidence and loot our investments is a short sighted. Jesus gives us the wisest financial advice ever given: keep the long term in focus because this hurting, corrupted, fallen and painful world is slowly and surely passing away.

The greatest retirement plan in the world is out of this world. I’m not planning to stop putting money into my retirement account, but I will try not to over-invest in this world. God is faithful to provide all my needs according to His riches in glory. Today, my greatest investment is to give the hope of eternal life to another person who will live forever.

Trusting Him!

Ed Litton

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can say with no doubts that I have seen the provisions of God in my life time and time again.

I have yet to start a 401K plan, as I am sure many others have not or cannot, I honestly live paycheck to paycheck.
Right now I have maybe 70 bucks on me. I am a single mother, 3 kids and child support is not regular.
Yet, I am not worried because I have the confidence that He can turn that 70 into 70,000 if its His will.
He is my safety net, my security.

Anonymous said...

To bring u an update on my financial condition since I posted last to your blog-He has blessed me SO FAR with approx $8200; I'll keep u posted on the progress! Thank you Jesus!