Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Broken

Searching in my computer, I stumbled upon a picture of me preaching with the choir and orchestra behind me in a wash of blue. It was then I saw her face. The moment is frozen in time. Tammy was sitting in the orchestra listening to me. I am amazed by how the mind works and how quickly it can race through your life, dropping forgotten snapshots to ponder.

In our life, I was the out front guy. I have always been comfortable in front of people, the more the better. I love preaching God's Word. Tammy loved her life behind the scene. She had all the talent to stand in the light, but she just lacked the need to be there.

She was my most excellent partner in ministry. She was proud of me. That may sound arrogant, but it isn't. I know she was very proud of me because she told me so often. She knew I needed to hear it from someone I respected and who had my best interests at heart. People are kind to me about my preaching, but I learned to wait for her words. No one has been able to encourage me quite the same since. She earned that respect by having to clean my proverbial plow on one or two occasions. I longed to please her and could not endure ever being an embarrassment to her.

I thank God for a woman. What a wonderful creation of our awesome God. She is so utterly other than man. She captivates us, transforming awkward men into poets as profound as Shelley and Keats. She can drive us to be more than our lazy or fearful hearts would ever attempt. The heart of a man will likely die in unproductive manhood without her, unnourished.

When Tammy and I met, God had already begun His new work in my heart. She was His gift to electrify the process. I had dropped out of the university and was prohibited from coming back until I could manage to bring my grades up in a junior college. Yet her love, her faith in me, her powerful encouraging ways made me want to be better for her, me and the Lord. I was broken on the rocks of her femininity and I delight in the brokenness. Today some call me Dr. Ed Litton. That could never have happened were it not for a brilliant woman named Tammy. I can still feel the warm glow of her. I am gladly a broken man.

Ed Litton

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

God Bless You Pastor Ed.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Tammy was in my Sunday school class. She was a complete inspiration to me. When I was pregnant with my little girl my class gave me a baby shower. Mrs. Ginger got Jan, Mrs. Tammy and Mrs. Kitty to write something motherly for me. Words of encouragement. Mrs. Tammy's meant the most then and now to me. She said for me to always pray with my sweet Emma. I've taken those words to heart and always prayed with Emma. I am grateful to have known such a wonderful person.

Anonymous said...

I have thought and prayed for you often. You were my pastor, friend, and boss. I count it a privelege to have know Tammy. My heart breaks for you and the kids. I thought of you Sunday morning in church and began to weep for you. We were sining a song that NOMO choir still sings (and Zanie was in that choir) and I thought of you and Tammy and I was broken for my brother. Even though I am many miles away you are thought of often and prayed for. Darrell & Family

Anonymous said...

The most beautiful sentiment I've ever read, truly.